I have a work day today, with limited time.
The UI is what it is; it does not have capabilities beyond what is stated
in the UI and in the manual.  It's meant to allow construction of paths
piece by piece, not by full subdirectory at a time.

You can obviously use the API if you want to construct path specifications
some other way.  It sounds like you are doing things programmatically
anyway so I would definitely look into that.

Karl