Mesos uses a fair-sharing algorithm[1] to ensure that each framework
registered with Mesos is ensured its fair share of resources. If you want
more control over the groupings and weights of different frameworks, check
out the roles and weights parameters: mesos-master --roles="services,batch"
and --weights="services=2,batch=1" as described at
http://mesosphere.io/docs/mesos/deep-dive/mesos-master/

Mesos uses these algorithms and parameters to decide which framework gets
the next offer, so it won't affect already running tasks if one framework
is already hogging the cluster when you start a new framework. But if you
start killing tasks from the over-provisioned framework, those resources
will be offered to the new framework(s) until it reaches its fair share.

[1] http://static.usenix.org/event/nsdi11/tech/full_papers/Ghodsi.pdf