A DFS is merely a convenience for getting data to all the nodes of your
mesos cluster. If you want to have all nodes retrieve data from HTTP
servers (like S3), this is feasible as well. If you want your nodes to
store data, you can have them write to any database (although I'd recommend
something scalable, like Riak, rather than a DB like an unsharded MySQL)