Yes, the mesos-master or mesos-slave binary itself only accepts command
line options, and do not read configs from places like /etc/mesos/ or
/etc/default/mesos.

If you compile from source, you either write a wrapper script to read these
configs/options, and pass them to mesos-master/mesos-slave like the
official deb package does, or pass the configs directly to mesos program in
command line.