On 23 January 2015 at 21:20, Sharma Podila <spod...@netflix.com> wrote:

> Here's one possible scenario:
> A DataCenter runs Databases, Webservers, MicroServices, Hadoop or other
> batch jobs, stream processing jobs, etc. There's 1000s, if not 100s, of
> systems available for all of this. Ideally, systems running Databases are
> configured to run different services in their init than one running batch
> jobs. However, because one would want to achieve elasticity of different
> services (#systems running DBs vs. batch, for example) within a single Mesos
> cluster, Mesos would have to determine what services run on the system at
> the current time. It's like a newly installed system comes up and connects
> into Mesos and says, "hello there, I am an 8-core 48GB 1Gb eth system ready
> for service, what would you like me to do?". Mesos can choose to make it run
> any one or more of the services which would determine the set of init
> services to launch. And that may change over time as DC traffic changes.

What you're describing here is essentially the value proposition of
Mesos+marathon.

But there are still many services you need to provide in a datacenter
that aren't as
elastic as we'd like, and don't necessarily benefit from the
flexibility you're describing.

It's easy enough to lay those out with the same automation you'd use
to setup your
mesos processes under a more conventional init system.
Someone mentioned Ansible earlier, that's worked out really well in my
experience.

There's a simple Vagrant based playbook here if anyone's interested.

    https://github.com/rasputnik/mesos-centos

The nice thing about Ansible is this scales up to hundreds of servers
easily, simply
by changing the inventory file.