From: Sharma Podila [spod...@netflix.com]
Sent: 13 May 2015 23:49
To: user@mesos.apache.org
Cc: Douglas Thain; Brian Bockelman
Subject: [Junk released by User action] Re: Batch Scheduler with dependency
support

​I keep longing for folks with decades of experience in HTC&HPC to chime in
"on-list".

FWIW, I come from that background, but, am not in that space at this time. My
prior life was in developing a (not open source) distributed job scheduler and
management system for batch and interactive jobs that handled dependencies,
deadlines, preemptions, advance reservation of resources, etc. with multi-level
priority and share tree hierarchy based allocation. Typically, dependencies and
deadlines are handled outside of schedulers and fed into schedulers as task
submission after dependencies have been met. We found it more optimal to have
the scheduler resolve dependencies and deadlines inherently. This way, a high
priority job dependent on another low priority job can induce higher priority
on that dependent job. Similarly, a job with a deadline depending on another
job's completion can induce an earlier launch of the latter job in order to
meet it's deadline. Also, a dependent job can reserve its resources in advance,
knowing the expected completion time of its dependent jobs. This was important
because in that environment we always had more jobs to run than can run on
available resources. It wasn't unusual to have 10s of 1000s of jobs waiting in
queue to run during the day.

Not sure if this helps the original question in this thread in any way. But, I
am glad to share my learning, if that helps.

Sharma

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Tim St Clair