I think that would depends on how would you use the mesos cluster.

We have a mesos cluster of ~20 nodes to run all the production web
services. From the POV of other teams, the mesos cluster is like an
internal PaaS, and they only need to know how to manage their own apps -
how to create app instances and upgrade them (we do that with a slack chat
bot), much like the way you use a public PaaS.

The operational team does all the heavy lifting - server provisioning and
monitoring, shared service management (e.g. mysql/cache/mq) for apps
running in mesos cluster.

If you would create your own mesos framework, it would require more close
interaction between the project team and the operational team.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Shuai