Mesos does not explicitly support HDFS and S3.  Rather, Mesos will assume
you have a hadoop binary and use it (blindly) for certain types of URIs.
If the hadoop binary is not present, the mesos-fetcher will fail to fetch
your HDFS or S3 URIs.

Mesos does not ship/package hadoop, so these URIs are not expected to work
out of the box (for plain Mesos distributions).  In all cases, the operator
must preconfigure hadoop on each node (similar to how Docker in Mesos
works).

Here's the epic tracking the modularization of the mesos-fetcher (I
estimate it'll be done by 0.30):

^ Once done, it should be easier to plug in more fetchers, such as one for
your use-case.