All versions of mesos *should* work without systemd. The intent was to add
*support* for systemd, not make it a requirement.
If specific version of mesos *don't* work without systemd then that is a
bug, and it would be awesome if you could share specific issues (we can
make JIRAs).

The purpose of the `systemd_enable_support`flag was to prevent mesos from
thinking it should use systemd utilities when systemd was available on the
system (and therefore Mesos assumes it's being launched as a systemd unit).

I want to make it very clear that there is no intent to make systemd a
requirement :-) We would need to have a significant conversation in the
community first if that were the case.

I really enjoyed hearing this progress, so please do ping me on any JIRAs
where systemd made this project more difficult!

Joris

—
*Joris Van Remoortere*
Mesosphere