> On Dec 19, 2016, at 2:54 PM, Zhitao Li <zhitaoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi James,
>
> Stitching events together is only one possible use cases, and I'm not exactly
> sure what you meant by directly event logging.
>
> Taking the hierarchical allocator for example. In a multi-framework cluster,
> sometimes I want to comb through various loggings and present a trace on how
> allocation has affected a particular framework (by its framework id) and/or
> w.r.t an agent (by its agent id).
>
> Being able to systematically extract structured field values like
> framework_id or agent_id, regardless of the actually logging pattern, will be
> tremendously automatically from all lo valuable in such use cases.

I think we are talking about similar things. Many servers do both free-form
error logging and structured event logging. I'm thinking of event logging
formats are customizable by the operator and allow the interpolation of
context-specific data item (eg. HTTP access logs from many different server
implementations).