We recently committed this [1] and it would be part of the *next major
release* (1.4.0). Also, we upgraded to the newer protobuf release 3.3.0.

For Mesos developers, this means that we can use proto3 features like arena
allocation [2], maps [3] etc. Note that we still need to use the proto2
syntax version for backward compatibility.

Thanks Zhitao for the contributions!

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-7228
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-5783
[3] https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/proto#maps