It seems to me that putting the burden of deciding on backports on the
release manager would actually increase the amount of work required. Simply
cutting the release on a particular date is pretty quick - however,
examining tickets to determine whether or not a particular fix should be
backported seems like more effort?

The backport policy strikes me as a community decision, rather than an
individual decision. The community discusses (as we're doing now :) and
settles on a policy, which individual committers then execute. Putting each
release manager in charge of the backport policy for that particular
release would lead to inconsistency across releases. I'm not sure that this
is a terrible thing, but it's not a particularly good thing either.

I would propose that we establish a single backport policy that we all do
our best to execute, with an understanding that there will always be room
for exceptions in some situations.

I like the idea of backporting all bug fixes which apply relatively
cleanly. In addition, very critical bug fixes are worth backporting even
when extensive work is required to backport them.

Alex, could you elaborate on why you would like to backport as little as
possible? I would like to better understand your motivations there :)

Cheers,
Greg