I propose that we revert this change and keep the ".json" endpoints in
master branch and 1.8.x

My reasoning is that, we have ecosystem components (e.g., mesos-dns which
is yet to have a release with fix) and anecdotally a bunch of custom
tooling at user sites that depend on these ".json" endpoints (esp.
/state.json). The amount of techdebt that we saved or consistency we
achieved in the codebase by doing this is not worth the tradeoff of
breaking some user/tooling, in my opinion. We could revisit this if and
when we do a Mesos 2.0.