From: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com> on behalf of Matt Foley
<ma...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:39 PM
To: "user@metron.apache.org" <user@metron.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Integration of Honeeepi(honeypot sensor) with Metron

Hi Naveen,

Does Honeeepi produce a stream of logs and/or alerts, that you would like to
process?

If not, you’ll need to define a “sensor” of sorts that will tell you when
something interesting happens (or is happening) with the honeypot.  Metron does
not help with that, although it can help compare normative with aberrational
event streams, thereby identifying what is “interesting”, if Honeeepi itself
does not do that.  The integration point with Metron will be the message stream
from Honeeepi or that Honeeepi sensor, preferably piped into Kafka.

Next you need a parser for the logs from Kafka.  You may be able to write a
Grok script for our generic Grok parser, otherwise you can write a Metron
Parser module in Java.  Parsers are in the process of becoming plug-ins for
Metron, but for now, the current way of creating new parsers can be found in
the top three results when you google “apache metron writing a new parser”.
Parsers convert messages of whatever format into a standard JSON format, which
the rest of Metron knows how to deal with.

Now you’ve got your “integration”.  You still need to decide what to do with
the message stream.  If you need to identify “interesting” vs “not interesting”
events, you might plug in an ML model as one of your enrichers.  When you can
filter for interesting events, you can “enrich” them by raising select info in
the message body into the meta-data, or adding new meta-data based on
associational lookups of existing fields.

Then you add Threat Intel and do threat recognition, and feed that into your
Indexing and Alerting sub-systems.  That’s Metron in a thimble :-)  Suggest you
read the entire site-book of Metron development information at
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/index.html , especially the articles
with architecture diagrams at

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-platform/metron-parsers/index.html

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-platform/metron-enrichment/index.html

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-platform/metron-indexing/index.html

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-analytics/metron-maas-service/index.html

and the stuff about Profiling and Statistics at

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-analytics/metron-profiler/index.html

*
https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-analytics/metron-profiler-client/index.html