In many ways it’s a matter of scale. OSSIM is a kind of lite version of
AlienVault, and used by them. I’ve seen people move from an OSSIM architecture
to Metron specifically to get better scaling, things like PCAP capabilities
etc. but also retain the OSSEC agents to handle endpoint and scanning use
cases, which they then feed into Metron. In these cases it was mostly about
scalability and flexibility to extend, as well as manageability of multi-tenant
environments.

In functional terms, Metron also emphasises behaviour profiling and machine
learning, whereas OSSIM is a more traditional rules-centric way of looking at
security and log monitoring.

Hope that helps you understand the difference a little better,
Simon