Okay, I figured it out. There was a mismatch in my install bro (yum installed),
the source (git cloned) and the plugin version. I removed everything and them
compiled both zeek and the plugin from source and the issue seems to have gone.
I can run the test command I get the following output.

# zeek -N Apache::Kafka
Apache::Kafka - Writes logs to Kafka (dynamic, version 0.3.0)

However, now I can't seem to get alerts/logs to Kafka. Here's the config I'm
using in /usr/local/zeek/share/zeek/site/local.zeek

#This doesn't work in the new version anymore.
#@load packages/metron-bro-plugin-kafka/Apache/Kafka

#Tried added this line to ensure all packages are automatically loaded.
#@load packages

#Then tried loading the specific module
#@load metron-bro-plugin-kafka
#And then I eventually removed the three previous load lines

redef Kafka::send_all_active_logs = T;
redef Kafka::tag_json = T;
redef Kafka::kafka_conf = table(
    ["metadata.broker.list"] = "mysecrethost:6667",
    ["client.id"] = "bro"
);

Even when I have the `@loads` disabled, I still see the script being loaded
(see logs below).

To start, I did the following:

zeekctl> deploy
zeekctl> restart --clean
zeekctl> start

I can see the following in startup logs:

starting ...
starting zeek ...
[ZeekControl] > diag
[zeek]

No core file found.

Zeek 2.6-558
Linux 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64

Zeek plugins:
Apache::Kafka - Writes logs to Kafka (dynamic, version 0.3.0)

==== No reporter.log

==== stderr.log
listening on em1

==== stdout.log
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited

==== .cmdline
-i em1 -U .status -p zeekctl -p zeekctl-live -p standalone -p local -p zeek
local.zeek zeekctl zeekctl/standalone zeekctl/auto

==== .env_vars
PATH=/usr/local/zeek/bin:/usr/local/zeek/share/zeekctl/scripts:/usr/local/openssl/bin:/opt/apache-maven-3.3.9/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/zeek/bin
ZEEKPATH=/usr/local/zeek/spool/installed-scripts-do-not-touch/site::/usr/local/zeek/spool/installed-scripts-do-not-touch/auto:/usr/local/zeek/share/zeek:/usr/local/zeek/share/zeek/policy:/usr/local/zeek/share/zeek/site
CLUSTER_NODE=

==== .status
RUNNING [net_run]

==== No prof.log

==== packet_filter.log
#separator \x09
#set_separator  ,
#empty_field    (empty)
#unset_field    -
#path   packet_filter
#open   2019-07-03-19-36-56
#fields ts      node    filter  init    success
#types  time    string  string  bool    bool
1562175416.590048       zeek    ip or not ip    T       T

==== loaded_scripts.log
#separator \x09
#set_separator  ,
#empty_field    (empty)
#unset_field    -
#path   loaded_scripts
#open   2019-07-03-19-36-56
#fields name
#types  string
/usr/local/zeek/lib/zeek/plugins/APACHE_KAFKA/lib/bif/__load__.zeek
  /usr/local/zeek/lib/zeek/plugins/APACHE_KAFKA/lib/bif/kafka.bif.zeek
/usr/local/zeek/lib/zeek/plugins/APACHE_KAFKA/scripts/__load__.bro
  /usr/local/zeek/lib/zeek/plugins/APACHE_KAFKA/scripts/init.bro

it starts up fine, no error messages. running "diag" in zeekctl just gives a
long list of plugins that were loaded.

If I tail logs in I see new connection logs being added. However, I dont see
any messages in Kafka console consumer. What am I missing? How do I go about
debugging this?

Thank you for your help and assistance.

Best regards,
Sanket