Thanks Simon, saving as hive table is also what I had in mind, so easy to do
with spark.

Stéphane

From: Simon Elliston Ball [mailto:si...@simonellistonball.com]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 17:43
To: user@metron.apache.org
Subject: Re: batch indexing in JSON format

Most users will have a batch process converting the JSON short term output into
ORC or Parquet files, often adding them to hive tables at the same time. I
usually do this with a spark job run every hour, or even every 15mins or less
in some cases for high throughput environments. Anecdotally, I’ve found ORC
compresses slightly better for most Metron data than parquet, but the
difference is marginal.

The reason for this is that HDFS writer was built of the goal of getting data
persisted in HDFS as soon as possible, so writing a columnar format would
introduce latency to the streaming process. I suspect that a dev list
discussion on schema management and alternative output formats will be
forthcoming. To handle that with a sensible approach to schema migration is not
trivial, but certainly desirable.

Simon

On 15 Jul 2019, at 13:25, <stephane.d...@orange.com> <stephane.d...@orange.com>