Hi Carmmello,

I would like to stress that I am only speaking from my own views on the way
the project has been moving over the last year and a half or so but I would
like to add the following points to address you quite obvious concerns

There has been a lot of correspondence on closely linked topics over the
past wee while, I think developers understand that there is a small step up
to address the requirements of Nutch 1.3, and there is also always inherent
problems when you individuals and communities are faced with change. I would
like to say with confidence that the current version of Nutch is a well
refined tool which is adapting very accurately to provide the best crawling
functionality of a very dynamically developing web consisting of various
complex graph structures. I would like to make it clear that it is extremely
important to have a stable and well designed crawling implementation such as
Nutch 1.3 as if you look on the Dev lists you will see the barrage of tasks,
existing in an array of complexity, functionality and accuracy which keep
Nutch running in parallel with < daily changes to the dynamic web. If Nutch
is not focussing on crawling, then no matter whether we have a web
application interface or a Lucene index the quality of data fetched will
simply not be up to scratch. I hope you can appreciated the burden which
this imposes on the directional decisions made within the Project Management
Committee in the last year or so...

Developers across many of the ASF projects understand that being user
friendly is an excellent attribute to have in any open source Apache
implementation. However projects develop and in the case of the Apache
Software foundation, some of these project spawn sub-projects which graduate
to become thier own top level independant projects. As I'm sure you are
aware, this was the case with Nutch, therefore it means that as a community
we should be able to make decisions independently in the best interests of
the project. We have talk about not reinventing the wheel, well this is also
going on across the ASF board of projects. One thing to consider is that
many developers, contributors and PMCs do not belong to one project, they
give up time, effort and resources to sometimes several projects, therefore
it is very important that as a project Nutch reserves the priority of
removing duplication across the board.

Addressing you point regarding the real objectives established at the
beginning of the project, there has been significant progress made within
Nutch and excellent sub projects which have since graduated to top level
projects (I'm sure there is no reason to name them) with their own bustling
communities. Allowing Nutch to stagnate and claim to be a one-size-fits-all
search engine would have jeopardised the viability of all of these
successful projects and would have therefore prevented the very innovation
that earns open source implementation under the ASF the reputation and
widespread use that projects are renowned for.

For example if we take the latest Nutch 1.3 release, we have two options to
deploy, in local mode (running on one machine) or in deploy mode (harnessing
the strength of parallel processing jobs for different kinds of Nutch
users). The development has been driven purely by variances seen across the
community usage of Nutch. We draw upon progress made in other delegated
areas for the benefit of the project, not to isolate non-programmers from
using newer versions of the code base.

I would also like to add that there are many questions asked about Solr due
to a number of criteria, namely:

>Various developers/committers/PMC members of Nutch are also members of
various Solr groups.
>Developers and users are kind enough to take the time and effort to answer
Solr related questions as it is commonly recognised now that Solr is the
widespread indexing mechanism (which also has an easily configurable GUI).
>It is not very often that users on the Nutch user@ list are ignored or
thier queries unanswered, however if this is the case there is good reason
behind it. In general, and in my opinion, when I started using Nutch I found
the help on user@ not only extremely beneficial but also a confidence boost
to get me working on Sold and other project lists.

I suppose that there are always 2 sides to every story and it is very
uncomforting to hear that you are really not happy with the latest release,
there was a lot of hard work put into its development. Amongst bug fixes and
other potential barriers mentioned above and previously on this list I would
like to think that as the project matures it users can also recognise the
dynamism which needs to exist in a project of Nutch's nature i order to
present users with a stable and robust software choice. Instead of becoming
handicapped we have a clear vision for Nutch 2.0, Nutch branches e.g. 1.4
and many new fixes on the way. I suppose it depends from which side of the
table you are on when you mention that it is becoming a handicapped project
but my honest opinion is one from the other end of the spectrum.

To conclude I would quite like to say that the option is always there to
work with Nutch 1.2 and gradually make yourself aware of the great features
and benefits your general audience could benefit from when using a nicely
tunes Nutch Solr search engine. As a simple example, everyone uses ebay
right? Well with some careful and well thought out design decisions the work
to get something similar with probably better functionality failored for
your specific users up and running is really not a hundred miles away if you
were comfortable using < Nutch 1.3.

As I said it is not good to hear that you are unhappy with the current
release, but I hope I have put across some points in such a way that they
provide justification as well as substance to not only the design decisions
but also to the roadmap for the Nutch project moving forward.

Thank you

--
*Lewis*