Hi - the timestamp is just the time when a page is being indexed. Not very
useful except for deduplication. If you want to index some publishing date you
must first identify the source of that date and get it out of webpages. It's
possible to use og:date or other meta meta tags or perhaps other sources but to
do so you must create a custom parse filter.

Meta tags can be indexed without creating a custom parse filter. If you don't
trust websites or need special (re)formatting or checking logic you need to
make a parse filter for it.

I've also built a date parsing filter to retrieve dates in various formats from
free text, check Jira for a patch for the dateparsefilter. It's an older
version but still works well.