If Nutch exits with an error then the segment is bad, a failing thread is not
an error that leads to a failed segments. This means the segment is properly
fetched but just that some records failed. Those records will be eligible for
refetch.

Assuming you use the crawl command, the updatedb command will be successful so
there should be no issue here. What's the problem?