Finally I  was able to locate the logs in syslogs , I see the error it is
because of the following exception.

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.http.impl.conn.SchemeRegistryFactory.createSystemDefault()Lorg/apache/http/conn/scheme/SchemeRegistry;

Apparently this happens when an older version of the class is present
in the classpath.

I have added a fat jar to my nutch build to access the database and
insert data into it along with other functions ,
looks like one of the jars that is included in my fat jar is
conflicting with the Hadoop jars.

Once I figured out which  jar it is , I will need to make sure that
only the right jar is in the class path.

Is there  a way to configure class loading policy when using Hadoop ?