Thanks for the reply! The firewall is disabled and ZK is running fine per
CloudEra Manager.

I might have fixed the problem by including relevant properties (ZK quorum,
distributedmode) in the hbase-site.xml and nutch-site.xml... unsure if I should
also include other properties/settings...?

Thanks,
Michael