Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM
From: "Sebastian Nagel" <wastl.na...@googlemail.com>
To: user@nutch.apache.org
Subject: Re: Internal links appear to be external in Parse. Improvement of the
crawling quality
Hi Semyon,

> interpret www.somewebsite.com[http://www.somewebsite.com] and
> somewhebsite.com as one host?

Yes, that's a common problem. More because of external links which must
include the host name - well-designed sites would use relative links
for internal same-host links.

For a quick work-around:
- set db.ignore.external.links.mode=byDomain
- modify the method URLUtil.getDomainName(URL url)
so that it returns the hostname with www. stripped

For a final solution we could make it configurable
which method or class is called. Since the definition of "domain"
is somewhat debatable [1], we could even provide alternative
implementations.

> PS. For me it is not really clear how ProtocolResolver works.

It's only a heuristics to avoid duplicates by protocol (http and https).
If you care about duplicates and cannot get rid of them afterwards by a
deduplication job,
you may have a look at urlnormalizer-protocol and NUTCH-2447.

Best,
Sebastian

[1]
https://github.com/google/guava/wiki/InternetDomainNameExplained[https://github.com/google/guava/wiki/InternetDomainNameExplained]