Jonathon,

This is good feedback, and very unfortunate. It has been frustrating to me for years that many users of OFBiz that even get it working well for them in production real-world use simply don't get involved and contribute back, and that happens to be the ONLY way anything gets into the project.

One way or another OFBiz really needs volunteers that are dedicated and can contribute consistently and help moderate contributions as well. The trick is getting people to help and commit. This is actually the reason I'm not interested in investing in OOTB use for small companies, they generally don't have the resources or expertise to contribute much back.

So, the project is what it is and moves as it does. Hundreds of thousands of man-hours have gone into it, and as the project and world progress we can really use more and more effort. We could easily put in a million man-hours into this project and still have work to do that would bring effective results that make a difference in the world.

Thanks for the patches you've submitted and such Jonathon, BTW. I hope you do get a chance to be more involved and one way or another I look forward to hearing more from you.

-David

On Jan 21, 2007, at 11:41 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

David,

> So, just to be clear and try to rephrase what you said: the problems you are > running into are caused by the approach used to customize and install OFBiz
> rather than OFBiz itself.

Sigh. Alright, I'll leave it at that. I concede that M2M could be an application that deviates wildly from best practices in manufacturing. Concede that I may be trying to enter building from the 3rd floor window instead of the front door. Concede even that my boss may be a dim-wit to have structured his operations such that it's not as "best practices" as OFBiz is. No more arguments from me on this front.

> You should know, if you don't already, that OFBiz is being used effectively
> in various manufacturing operations.

Good to know. That's one of my main arguments I throw at boss in every desperate situation I've had in defending OFBiz.

> If you're having trouble and the free support of the community isn't meeting
> your needs,

No, we don't have such trouble. I only have trouble comprehending why I need to fix so many bugs and non-intuitive workflows in OFBiz given that it's supposed to be "best practices" (or maybe I misrepresented OFBiz to boss?).

In fact, my series of circus acts (correcting OFBiz rapidly, adding functionalities, etc, all faster than OFBiz community can cope with) has pacified my boss' fears for now (for now only). We have no trouble working OFBiz at all.

My main concern is the management of development of SVN trunk (I trust you're holding the beast on course, so it won't trample the fields it just ploughed). In the worst case, not that it'll happen, if OFBiz does die off, at least I'm left with a SUBSTANTIAL amount of work from which I can start building stuff. And I say again that we must all remember where all that "stuff" came from (OFBiz contributors).

> have you considered engaging people who have successfully deployed OFBiz in a
> manufacturing setting?

Yes, we had. But after getting some answers from some veterans I will not name, I am convinced that we couldn't have done it cheaper AND FASTER if we went with OFBiz veterans (folks who can work OFBiz in manufacturing setting). Nothing to do with how OFBiz is, just to do with economics. Oh yes, has a lot to do with adoption (Ian's long thread). Given a wider adoption due to better docs (entry guides), there'd be a lot of human resources around that can do the job cheap and fast. I'm not saying that should be your or OFBiz's direction.

As it is now, we're moving ahead faster than OFBiz is, and I'm not talking about our specific needs aspect. I'm talking about bugs, incomplete functionalities (scaffolding in database, but not used), etc. I'm not even an OFBiz veteran.

Our decision here was just pure economics.

> If your time weren't so tight or if you had the luxury of more time to plan > you could probably even get help from Jacopo. As I understand it he is > working on a couple of fairly big contracts right now which is why he hasn't > been as involved in OFBiz in the last few weeks (which is a big difference > from before, BTW, we all have Jacopo to thank for a goodly percentage of what
> exists in OFBiz, especially in the manufacturing area).

No fault of yours or OFBiz's. Just a matter of economics, like I said.

As for Jacopo, we're watching him. :)

Jonathon

David E. Jones wrote:
Jonathon,
So, just to be clear and try to rephrase what you said: the problems you are running into are caused by the approach used to customize and install OFBiz rather than OFBiz itself. You should know, if you don't already, that OFBiz is being used effectively in various manufacturing operations. If you're having trouble and the free support of the community isn't meeting your needs, have you considered engaging people who have successfully deployed OFBiz in a manufacturing setting? If your time weren't so tight or if you had the luxury of more time to plan you could probably even get help from Jacopo. As I understand it he is working on a couple of fairly big contracts right now which is why he hasn't been as involved in OFBiz in the last few weeks (which is a big difference from before, BTW, we all have Jacopo to thank for a goodly percentage of what exists in OFBiz, especially in the manufacturing area).
-David