Ian,

As discussed before, you would/could write whatever user docs you could just by using and testing OFBiz. For any other functionalities you can't easily figure out that way, you can then pop a quick question to me, and I'll do a 2-minute rip through the source codes to give you a definitive answer (aka a "source codes say so, and that's how it works" kinda answer).

As for 10 minutes to know OFBiz, look through David's "overview of OFBiz
framework".

As for reading OFBiz like an open REFERENCE book, it has to do with the ability to rip through the source codes inside of minutes to conclusively figure out what buttons do what actions/effects.

Jonathon

Ian McNulty wrote:
Jonathon,

Have just been thinking about what you've been saying about learning the OFBiz framework inside of 10 minutes and how to read OFBiz 'like an open REFERENCE book.'

A short document describing exactly how to go about such a thing couldn't take more than 10 minutes to read by definition, and probably wouldn't take you much longer than that to write.

I'd certainly be interested in reading such a thing and I bet a lot of other people would too. It could be a major drawing point for our site.

Just a thought! (Or a wish fulfilment on my part perhaps. Wading through the 1000+ pages of awful, miserable rubbish generated by Les Austin, the technical writer drafted in by David at apparently huge expense. Wishing I could find something myself that I could put together in a couple of hours rather than a couple of months!)

Ian

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
Cedric,

> Jonathon, a collaboration? Yes, why not? But I am sure I will not show you
> much things because you are more experienced than me =)

I started looking at OFBiz framework in Jan 07 (last month). I probably spent no more than a week(?) on learning OFBiz framework itself; much of my time was spent on data mapping and struggling(!!) with freeing my boss' data from legacy systems, and also on comparing OFBiz with other solutions (he kept knocking OFBiz big-time). I had no docs, no references (save xsd schemas), I even missed the cookbooks altogether (which really are quite skeletal, anyway).

Believe me, OFBiz is easy to pick up.

Somewhat exact time requirements (in case your boss asks):

1. 10 minutes to learn structure of OFBiz, so you know how to move around.

2. 1-2 minutes to look up anything related to OFBiz, since you'll be reading
   OFBiz like an open REFERENCE book.

> there are questions about the use of screen/form widgets and
> Beanshell/minilang. I am not well experienced but I don't know if developers > will like to learn these new things instead of working with what they know.

As I mentioned in other threads, it IS possible to learn OFBiz inside of 10 minutes.

But you could be right. IMHO, the lack of clear OFBiz framework references (not videos that are unsearchable) may be hindering the explosive growth of the OFBiz-enabled engineer population. Also IMHO, an explosion in the number of OFBiz-enabled engineers will likely feed back into OFBiz very rapidly. And further IMHO, David Jones (creator of OFBiz) will then probably have a whole army of willing volunteers to choose from (many open source projects employ ULTRA STRINGENT qualifying criteria to screen volunteers before making them committers; you do get many top brains in open source projects, so good that you/I probably can't ever argue with those).

And finally, IMHO, I could be entirely wrong in above paragraph. I am not David Jones; I never created an open source project myself.

Bottom line. OFBiz framework is solid (may need tweaks, but enhancements are on the way all the time). I'll be sorry if I missed it.

Jonathon

PRONZATO Cedric RD-BIZZ-GRE wrote:
Hi all,

Yes, you are all true! My approach is bottom-up learning. All of you here seem to read in me like an opened book; I now know that OFBiz is a training area for FBI Profilers. :)

My aim (I think) was to fully understand the framework to be able to change/replace/add new *core* functionalities and test them in a real ecommerce environment. Yet I never played with 'call to a service' or so as the documents about that was enough clear. I said: All should be OK on this part. Entity engine and Service engine are clear and in respect of all the common and trusted laws of java development. (By the way is there any plan to turn to the new standards? OFBiz was in advance in 2000 but now much developer well knows Spring just to name one ...) So after these 2 majors things there are questions about the use of screen/form widgets and Beanshell/minilang. I am not well experienced but I don't know if developers will like to learn these new things instead of working with what they know. So I decided to not investigate it much.

Jonathon, a collaboration? Yes, why not? But I am sure I will not show you much things because you are more experienced than me =) I will check about what I am allowed to do with my company policy but I am confidant as OFBiz is a personal choice not too much tied to a project need. I stay you tuned.

I now have to think about what is wrong on this approach, think about what is the next thing I have to investigate ...

Thank you all,
Regards,
Cédric