From: Jacques Le Roux [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 1:44 PM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: Branch Release 4.0

Vikrant,

I knew someone has already reported something about SVK. Vinay did. Here is the
link if of any help http://tinyurl.com/3456o2

Jacques

> Hi Jonathon,
>
> Thats exactly the thing I just do a sync with ofbiz svn once and then
its just an incremental sync never a full sync and thats the beauty of setting
up mirror with SVK. Moreover my merging and branching both are tracked along
with revision and commits.

> regards,
> Vikrant

conflicts, but getting obvious conflicts (reported by SVN merge or
patch) is the lesser evil; at least you know which files to review.
Other times, the merge may contain no textual conflicts, but have logical
(runtime) conflicts instead.

> I find it useful to create a large patch file first, rather than
updating my customized branch directly. This large patch file (say between
OFBiz trunk r1000 and r2000) will be pre-processed before I actually perform
the merge. Pre-processing includes listing the files I have changed since
bringing in r1000, matching this list with the patch file, and quickly
narrowing down to the list of files I may need to review for conflicts.

> But you may ask "isn't such review non-automated and tedious"? First,
the review only involves those areas that both I and OFBiz community have
separately (without collaboration) changed.
> Second, the review gives me a great view of what the community is up
to. A lot of work, perhaps, but only for those areas of overlap I just
mentioned. In any case, I would've needed to put in the effort to collaborate
with the community anyway, and this review is merely a form of collaboration in
a "do my own homework" style.

> Still, despite the necessity for the above-mentioned review, I don't
often find areas of overlap.
> There's a way to do insulated customizations, such that you reduce the
areas of overlap.

> I find the OFBiz SVN very heavy (35MB of 3rd-party code binaries). And
that's why I prefer dealing with patches (deltas), rather than maintaining a
whole 70+(?) MB of SVN that is an exact replica of OFBiz SVN.

> Jonathon
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi Jacques,
> >
> > I am aware of the 2 documents. But this both doesn't actually
fulfill my requirement of having all the comments and incremental commits from
the upstream sources. In my local repository the changesets and revision of
ofbiz are exact replica of the svn repository hosted on apache. If I do a clean
export and then import it in my local repository, i found the process to be
cumbersome to update again from the new changes in the ofbiz repository,
moreover I lose the changesets and revisions on the ofbiz repository itself,
since a clean export cannot do it. The only way to have the fill exact copy
using svn is using dump and restore, which requires a shell access to the
subversion server.

> > This is the reason I used SVK which is exactly like dumping a
repository on apache subversion server and restoring it on my server.

> > regards,
> > Vikrant

OFBiz
> > and
> >> current changes in Opentaps.
> >>
> >> Thanks for sharing
> >>
> >> Jacques

> >> repository. On top of that opentaps indeed has different repository
> > for
> >> its components. So it was getting very hard for me to keep and
merge
> > all
> >> the upstream changes to my trunk as you know ofbiz needs to be
merged
> >> with trunk. The financials and crm resides in hot-deploy/financials
> > and
> >> hot-deploy/crmsfa. So the merge from opentaps should be on
> >> hot-deploy/financials and hot-deploy/crmsfa so I used SVK (I
already
> > use
> >> their product RT, its acquired by Best Practical) on top of
> >> subversion and build a automated script which would do the work of
> >> merging the upstream with my local changes preserving the comments
> >> and updates
> > from
> >> the upstream sources.
> > should
> >> be ready by monday and would publish it for everyone. I think this
> >> problem is not my own specific but with everyone who is working on
> >> opensource projects.

This
> >> is an automated process and the upstream branches are exact replica
> >> of the ofbiz and other subversion repository including the comments
> >> and commits.
> > merge
> > development
> >> and test environment to do ant run-install.
> >> changes.
> >> development
> >> developing we would branch the trunk to our own 1.0.0 version and
> >> then start working on it.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > new
> >> structure