David and Jacques,

Thanks for the responses.

>> Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering.

That is precisely a service level we do offer (on a case-by-case basis). It builds customer loyalty, and if cancelled items are easily resold to other customers - no big deal. We obviously don't do this all the time.

>>It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it up yet, so we'll cancel the order.

Yep, except the reality is that the order is sitting in a paper bag with a note written on it, and 99% of such orders are collected by the customer (ie, no shipping).

>> We will incur the cost of unpacking and restocking the item,

A paper bag doesn't cost much, and walking the item over to a shelf is no big deal :-)

>> and because the credit card has already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction fee,

Not usually the case for us. Except in unusual situations, we don't require customers to pre-pay (see earlier note about customer loyalty).

>> oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for that we'll pay that too.

Not an issue in our case.

As you can see, this highlights the fact that our workflows and practices _in this scenario_ are somewhat different to those assumed in your reply. Perhaps the most important assumption in your walk-through is that the shipment we are talking about is in the PACKED state (invoices generated, etc), but is there any reason why a shipment in, say, the CREATED state should not be cancellable (including un-issuing items)? In our typical scenario, we won't change the shipment's status to PACKED until the customer walks in to collect. The OOTB UI let's us delete items from packages, delete packages, cancel the shipment, etc, but it won't let us cancel an item issuance - any idea if there is a good reason for that, or is it just that no-one's thought it was needed before? If we had this ability, our workflow is easily supported (provided we don't PACK the shipment, but leave it CREATED).

Cheers, Iain

David E Jones wrote:

Wow, that's a level of service I've never heard of a retailer offering. It's basically saying that we've packed and labeled your box and it's sitting on the loading dock but the carrier hasn't picked it up yet, so we'll cancel the order. We will incur the cost of unpacking and restocking the item, and because the credit card has already been charged we'll refund that and pay the transaction fee, oh, and because we've already booked the shipping with the carrier we'll cancel that for you and if the carrier charges us for that we'll pay that too.

Most companies don't even track beyond packed, ie they don't flag shipments as shipped (ie picked up by the carrier), let alone go to all the trouble of pulling an order after packing.

Anyway, I guess if you wanted to do this the previous two paragraphs describe more or less what you'd need to do for all of this...

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:
This is an interesting point. I have no time to seek further tonight, anybody an idea ?

Jacques

De : "Iain Fogg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Is it possible to cancel a shipment? I know I can change the Shipment status to "Cancelled", but that doesn't trigger consequent cancellation of item issuances inventory item detail records, etc. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

The scenario is:

. Customer places order
. Order is packed
. Customer changes mind so we need to return the items in the order to inventory

Cheers, Iain