> The main reason is that version control of code for reliable rollouts of a
> tested set of code is vital for most sites (unless their tolerance for errors
> and bugs is very high).
>
> The more common approach is to have the templates in general in the file
> system using current methods, and put managed content about products,
> policies, etc, etc in the content management system.

Yes! I agree!

Oh, but you'll be surprised how many clients have a high tolerance for errors and bugs. I feel bad. A good number of my clients are "repeat customers" simply because they keep getting version-control-related issues, issues they mistakenly think are "normal bugs that should be fixed by a monthly maintenance contract".

I sometimes try to altruistically advise my clients properly. But I end up losing those clients I try to help! :P But still, the most stable clients are those who know what their stuff. Clients who keep coming back to me with version-control-related issues often tend to see such a huge snowball of maintenance costs, so much that they end up bordering on non-viable themselves.

I would... erm... altruistically advise against placing templates in "content manager" (or database), but in version-controlled files.

Well, unless, the OFBiz community decides to implement a version control system in "content manager" that is on par with SVN, that is! Wow. Mind-blowing.

Jonathon