I think the current rules engine is pretty much deprecated. I have heard
talk that if there is any more work to be done with rules it would involve
integrating an existing engine such as Drools. A year or so ago I integrated
Drools with OFBiz, but did not do much with it except to start on a little
proof-of-concept app that would evaluate addresses to see if they were the
same.

Drools has an xml syntax in addition to its native syntax and that could be
interesting. I would be glad to share what I did if you are interested.

-Al