I don't think we can remove the records from the Enumeration entity.
The idea (but it is my idea for now, not an official plan) is to use the InventoryItemDetail for staoring all the information about a manual variance (it is already done actually... using the enumId to keep track of the reason, and the comment, or description, I don't remember for the user message) and possibly deprecate part of the older entity model (some fields and the VarianceReason entity maybe).

Jacopo