Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
That's similar to how I do it.

1. Update local copy from the trunk.
2. Apply the development patch.
3. Test the local copy. If all is okay, then
4. Revert local copy, apply production patch.
5. Deploy local copy to the server. I have a script that does an SVN export, then zips it into a single file. Then I ftp the zipped file to the server and unzip it.

-Adrian

Eric DE MAULDE wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a production server working every time (without failure) ?
If an updated version of the trunk contains a bug, what happens ?

Is the following system realistic ?
I develop with a local copy from the OFBiz Trunk.
*** At once this local copy is my working copy (client) from the official repository (OFBiz trunk server) and the server (repository) to my OFBiz production copy in the hosting computer.

When I stabilize my local development copy (without bug)
I upate my hosting production copy
Then again I update and stabilize my local development copy

Eric

Here is the system I use, for what it's worth:

1. I keep two main patch files - basic_development.patch and basic_production.patch. Both patch files change the OFBiz configuration to work with our network environment, each one using settings chosen for the task - development or production. Only one patch is used at a time.

2. I keep all of my custom development in a single folder under the ofbiz/applications folder. I avoid touching the trunk code at all costs - except for the configuration patches mentioned above.

3. To keep my local copy updated, I do an SVN revert (to reverse the changes made by the patch), then an SVN update, then re-apply the patch. My custom development folder is untouched by the SVN commands, because SVN doesn't "know" about the folder.

This works really well and it doesn't involve any complicated merging - since the configuration files changed by the patches seldom change in the trunk.

-Adrian

Ray Barlow wrote:
The release branch would hopefully be more stable, but it will be
missing all of the features added to the main trunk since it branched.
At the end of the day the choice is yours, if you are going to do enough
testing then no reason you can't snapshot the trunk version test what
you need to use, fix (and submit patches) and get the best of the recent
changes.

Re SVN updates read through these for some ideas:
  http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/l
  http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/8gI

Ray

PS: I don't think there is a "stable" tag, just the release branch and
trunk.

PPS: There have been rumours of doing a new release branch sometime
soonish but no commitments on that one!

Eric wrote:
Hello,

I have read the documentation
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan
What version is the best for a production ecommerce web site ? Branch
release.4.0

Where is the tag "stable" ?
How can I download / update my package to this tag with subversion ?

Thanks

Eric