Two areas I am investigating:

1) Billing for projects other than by the hour. Right now I am mostly concerned
with daily or weekly rates and am not addressing other types of billing such as
fixed price, milestone/progress billing, etc.
I've gone thru the services in Project Manager related to generating invoices
and the associated services called in the accounting component to get rates.
The periodType entity already has values defined for weekly, monthly, and
quarterly, but not daily. I added a RATE_DAY periodType and was about to try
and use it, when I realized that the rate screen under party manager and
project manager (rate for a resource) has this field hard coded to RATE_HOUR.
Upon further investigation I see that when defining rates for a workeffort you
are able to set the periodType. So I guess I'm looking for some guidance on
what else needs to be done in project manager to take advantage of this.

2) Capturing different rates for customers and contractors. Customer rates
would be used when generating AR invoices, contractor rates would be used when
generating AP invoices.
Very early in my investigation on this one. My initial guess is that you would:
Create an agreement between company and customer
Create an agreement between company and contractor

>From here I'm stuck. Two possible paths:
Agreement Work Effort Appls
Agreement Items

Work Effort Appls seems like the logical choice, as it allows you to reference
a specific work effort (project) for the agreement. But this would not get down
to the resource level. For example we may charge different rates for different
resources. This also would not deal with two different rates (customer and
contractor) since with workeffort doesn't capture the rates that way. It just
captures a single rate for a resource. So as far as I can tell rates on
projects are implicitly intended to be used as a customer rate.

If you think about this from a pricing perspective I just need a way to capture
a "purchase" price and "sale" price, and use the correct price for a resource
on AR and AP invoices. Again, looking for some guidance.