On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Todd Burdeinei wrote:

This seems like functionality that would be handy to have. From what I found
the commitors think it should be excluded.

What makes you think that? As far as I know, it simply isn't true. It's just a simple matter of no one wanting it enough to develop and contribute it.

Actually, it's worse than that... it was part of the original promo functionality and then broken by later commits and no one has bothered to fix it.

If no one cares, it doesn't happen...

In this case I'm guessing that's because was 99% of people really need is handled by the shipping rules, but clear they are not as flexible.

Why is this? I am aware that
there are several ways to get free shipping out of ofbiz, but it seems
promos is really the best place for it, since you have specific control on conditions- unlike the on/off switch on the product config. Also- using price rules or promo discount $ to handle it isn't right since it wouldnt
accomodate carriers with online rate estimates.
From the aspect of managing business rules- why would you want to have free
shipping managed any other way than under promos?

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Just resources. Are you saying you want to contribute?

-David