From: "Bilgin Ibryam" <bibr...@iguanait.com>
On Feb 20, 2009, at 10:41 AM, David E Jones wrote:

For sales orders we definitely want to support starting and order without knowing who the customer is. Consider the typical order via phone where the customer asks about products, requests various, and then the CSR gets their information. If the CSR always had to get the customer info up front it could be rather awkward and reduce sales conversion.

For sales orders, when customer is unknown, we use an anonymous user assigned to the store with Default Customer Role.
HTH

Bilgin

Another obvious option would be to ask for customer at process end if empty