My guess is because Windows uses synchronous IO and Linux uses asynchronous IO. I'm no Windows expert so I don't know for sure, or if there is a way to improve performance on Windows.

Chances are by paying money for Windows Server or some sort of third- party commercial add-on the problem can be fixed. Sorry for that comment... I guess I'm a little jaded. Actually, with the mini-laptop I got last year I SO wanted Windows Vista to work well since it supports more in theory... but I'll admit I gave up after the 5th problem that I couldn't find a reasonable solution for... so now it's Ubuntu 9.04 running native and WinXP in VMWare for me...

-David