From: Ruth Hoffman [mailto:rhoff...@aesolves.com] Sent: 17 June 2009 06:09 PM
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Subject: Re: Utility Billing

Hi Gavin:
I did something similar to utility billing as you describe below - billing for telephone services - a few years ago with OFBiz. The usage data for a customer's bill came from another system accessed using some SOAP based services. I would think that meter readings using PDAs, cell phones or other devices that support a browser could be easily integrated as BJ suggests. Building the screens to allow remote entry of usage data via a small screen browser is easy enough. In another project - as a prototype - I was easily able to integrate an SMS server with OFBiz so that field technicians could send OFBiz messages (in this case service related status messages) using SMS and a cellphone (vs. a browser). That is another option.

Managing the recurring billing was handled using an OFBiz recurring service that I wrote (but was managed by the OFBiz Service Engine). The original order as placed using the eCommerce component or Order Entry component was the basis for the customer's billing rate, frequency and payment method and...let me see, what else? Then I built a self-service portal similar to what is now being advertised as the "myPortal" feature to allow customer's to view and update current service parameters, view past and current usage and bills and pay online.

There was no need for me to add any Entities - although OFBiz makes that so easy it's not funny. OFBiz pretty much had everything I needed to put this together.

Hope that helps.
Ruth

BJ Freeman wrote:
look at the profession services product.
then you can make something similar to the hhfacilities for order entry
so they can fill in using a pda/cellphone with webrowser as they read
the meters.

Gavin Mabie sent the following on 6/17/2009 7:43 AM:
Hi

Is it possible to use OfBiz for utility billing.  The requirement would
be
that a large number of customers are billed monthly for utilities such as
water, electricity gas etc, based on consumption obtained through
meter-readings.  Can ofbiz address this need and how could existing
artefacts in the framework be used to achieve this?