The direction I liked best way back when was to put this in the framework itself, probably in the widget component because this depends on the screen widget and the screen widget does (or will) depend on it.

Anyway, I mention that because I agree with what Bruno wrote except that commonext is an applications component and this would be better in the framework, IMNSHO.

-David