On Sep 24, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Tim Ruppert wrote:

Understood David - but where are these magical elves that come by and test the entire system? They don't exist - that's the fact of the matter - or we'd see more business users sitting here and putting tests in place for the stuff that already exists.

Who said anything about business users?

The fact is they do exist. There are people who test and contribute fixes. We need more of them, not less.

For my money, it goes back to putting tests around what you're doing so that you know that when someone else makes a change it doesn't break your functionality. Unfortunately it would require tests everywhere - something to aspire to for sure - to ensure you didn't break other people's work - but if they cared enough about their code working, then tests and reproduceability steps would seem a must to everyone.

I agree that it would be better for people to contribute automated tests along with things they develop. However, that doesn't excuse other people for complaining and not doing anything but complain if something that someone else develops doesn't do what they think it should. Different people and organizations have different requirements, and not all of us have a sufficient level of omniscience to guess at the requirements that others are facing (I know I certainly don't!).

Hopefully more people will get involved in doing it on the existing functionality. Manually testing a system of this size, watching each and every commit that people do and tracking down the places where that commit could cause problems is something that we do for the good of the community, but as you know better than most, it relies on expert level people - not just anyone. If there were more tests, then anyone could add code and know that they needn't be scared about it.

On that magical day when we do have a majority coverage for automated tests I hope we don't start thinking that we don't need to be scared about changes! On the other hand, I think most us aren't scared enough about changes. On the other other hand, we do have a pretty healthy level of peer review and peer pressure that keeps things fairly straight. On that note, while a comment is a good form of peer pressure an automated test case would be far more clear and more persuasive...

Since there aren't, I guess I'll either hire more elves or hope that other people start to contribute at this level as well.

I don't think we need more expert people, just more careful people, and more people willing to write automated tests. I think that's what we're talking about anyway. Maybe people being afraid that they aren't experts is more of a problem than not having enough experts?

On the other hand, if the da#$ experts weren't so lazy and selfish with their time they could solve all of our problems for us and none of us would have to worry about any of this! It's all the expert's fault that this is happening. Those $%^#ing selfish *&(t#$ds. ;)

-David