I figured it out - I'll post just send this for the archives - the way
to create an entity and add it to a contextMap

<make-value value-field="productCat" entity-name="ProductCategory"/>
<set field="productCat.productCategoryTypeId" value="CATALOG_CATEGORY"/>
<set field="productCat.categoryName" value="TEST2"/>
<set-service-fields to-map="contextMap"
service-name="createProductCategory" map="productCat"/>
<call-service service-name="createProductCategory" in-map-name="contextMap"/>