Hi Ylan

OFBiz is deployable as an EAR and the various app server deployment templates
in the framework/appserver/ directory facilitate this.

The main reasons as far as I am aware for using embedded tomcat is as follows:
-  Simple setup and deployment
-  Ability to change files on the fly without redeploying
-  I'm not sure if it is still the case, but there have been issues in the past
where the EAR standard doesn't allow for the use of a shared classpath between
the OFBiz applications and often requires the use of app server specific EAR
extensions
-  Meets the vast majority of users' needs as is

At the end of the day it is a fairly simple thing to upgrade tomcat (especially
minor versions) when needed and our current deployment model is much easier to
use and maintain.  But as I mentioned above, if someone really wanted to go
that route it is possible and there are some tools in OFBiz to assist with it.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com