From: Babu Sreekanth <babu.sreeka...@yahoo.com>
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Sent: Tue, February 16, 2010 1:53:04 AM
Subject: UI error messages

Hello,
   In quite few screens the sql error is displayed in the UI if an entity
operation results in error (esp. foreign key violation. One example, I created
an organization through Ofbiz Setup, and tried to create an invoice. It shows a
long exception message in the user screen (which is useful, but more useful for
a technical person. In that sense, it is available in the log files). The
reason could be easily seen in the log file.

---- stack trace ---------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR 23503: INSERT on table 'INVOICE' caused a violation of foreign key
constraint 'INVOICE_CUOM' for key (defaultCurrencyUomId).  The statement has
been rolled back.
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ForeignKeyRIChecker.doCheck(Unknown Source)

After a bit of debugging, I found the Party Accounting Preference needs to be
available (in UI, through Accounting --> ORG GL Settings --> setup). Do you
think it would be more useful for the user to have a text "The accounting setup
needs to be completed before ...." in the UI than the exception message. I hope
the end user also create parties etc.
Thanks,
Babu.