Something we discussed some time ago was to have a portalPage as the main
page of every application.
Then a good and useful thing would be to create the content portlet. This
would be a portlet that renders one or more content selected by its key or
the like.
Then we could have the information you want in a content and set a
portalPortlet that shows it in the portalPage main application page.

So the roadmap could be:
1) create the content portlet
2) create the portalPage widget
3) put a portalPage widget on every application's main page
4) create contents with the instructions
5) set a specific content portalPortlet on the application's main pages
portalPages

What do you think?