are you sure you are not referring to 1 million products.
I run in the real world over 100,000 products.
I have approx 18 top categories with 3-10 levels of sub categories.
if your see 1,000,000 categories that way then it is feasible.
I use automated updating from my suppliers to keep thing up-to-date.
these updates happen every 24 for prices new and obsolete products.
availability is as often as 15 min.
The average Cpu usage during these operations is about 15% of a 1.6ghz
Cpu with enough RAM to not use the swap file. the peak cpu usage is
about 75% when the scheduled services and large imports (1 gig data) are
happening.

BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation
<http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Michal Cukierman sent the following on 4/30/2010 1:51 AM: