I would argue that using groovy is the right approach regardless of the
version.  Screen actions are intended to speed up simple tasks, they are not a
substitute for actual scripting.  Especially when you consider that whenever
you try and do something complicated with them you end up spending more time
debugging than if you had just put your logic in a script in the first place.

Regards
Scott