thanks for you input Ruth.
yes I was more asking what webtool functionality would I use or need to create to accomplish what you described. from what some of the errors are, it is not the artifact but other things the artifact depends on that has caused the errors.
Not on my radar to fix currently

Ruth Hoffman sent the following on 9/22/2010 3:12 AM:
Hi BJ:
Thanks for the clarification. Let me ask the question another way: Are
you automating the development of process flow diagrams for exist OFBiz
applications such as the eCommerce application? If so, it will depend on
how the process was implemented and where you want to start. IMHO it all
starts with a user clicking on a form's "submit" button. So, in this
case if you want to document how an order is processed starting from the
webstore, you will need to read the controller.xml file(s) and go
through any Events called from the form "submit" and figure out what
happens based on the response message(s). Within any particular Event,
you will need to be able to detect calls to Services and follow all the
SECA chains and then parse and process each Service call. You will
probably also need to detect calls to read/write from the database since
1) this is an integral part of what OFBiz does to implement business
rules and 2) there are ECAs on database tables that further refine
business processing.

FYI - I've not had much luck with the Artifact tool. I'm running 9.04
and have plenty of memory and CPU cycles but I can't get it work
reliably. It often hangs and/or just fails completely. I think if
someone could make that took more reliable, that would go a long way
towards helping understand how OFBiz works.

Regards,
Ruth