This is issue is still pending. The recent revision from trunk doesn't
work on external tomcat.
And I was not able to trouble shoot the issue.
I commented out all the app context in the generated
TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml and left bi to see the results.
All I get is:

INFO: Starting service Catalina
Jan 27, 2012 2:34:36 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
Jan 27, 2012 2:34:37 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Jan 27, 2012 2:34:37 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/bi] startup failed due to previous errors
Jan 27, 2012 2:34:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor manager.xml
Jan 27, 2012 2:34:37 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor

I managed to get it running in the past with 10.04, but not from
trunk. The svn doesn't show any significant changes. Any help ?