IMO, each release/version is a balance of stability vs. new features.  The
older a release is, the more deployments it has seen and the more likely it is
that most major bugs have been fixed.  If you don't need the features in the
newer versions (most don't) then the older versions are a better choice IMO.

Regards
Scott