Hi Robert,

no tricks or hidden magic there. The server is actually a virtual host, so
there isn't too much power behind it. Behind the scenes, we did a rewrite of
the core functionalities. We found that one of the things within the
eCommerce Store that is rather "slow" is the category tree and the lookup
for products. We opted for another approach, where we used solr to index all
products. We used the calculated trails function I committed a few weeks ago
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4580) to generate the trail of
each product on create and store within the solr data.

Because of it, you can do many things that require a lot of calculation
otherwise: you can select all products of a category, even when they are
only assigned to a subcategory. You can look up products much faster and so
on. In comparsion to the ecommerce component, you will notice, for instance,
that there we first generate a list of all products, then loop over a part
of them, then do selects for the individual data and so on. Here only a
single lookup is required. Best is - this scales really well. There is
currently only around 100 products in the db, but with our other projects we
had no problems to handling tens of thousands of products without much of an
impact on the performance.

Regards,
Paul

---