Hi Deval,

that field is only used if you have setup the FIFO or LIFO inventory
accounting: its content represents the units that are currently posted in the
"inventory" account (at their unitCost). This is required because the order in
which the goods in inventory items physically enter or exit the warehouse is
not always the same required by FIFO/LIFO accounting.

I hope it helps,

Jacopo