I got this from Joe Eckard and think it is worth sharing for anyone
else coming along. Thanks Joe.

Switching to jetty and back is easy & painless - first you need to
edit /framework/component-load.xml to make sure the jetty component is
active and the catalina component is disabled. Then you need to make
sure the jetty config is available - you can do that by copying the
"jetty-container" section from jetty.properties into ofbiz.properties,
or copy jetty.properties to ofbiz.properties in framework/base/config,
or supply "jetty" as a command-line argument when running ofbiz. (e.g.
"java -jar ofbiz.jar jetty" - this will cause Start.java to load the
startup jetty.properties, which tells ofbiz to use
framework/base/config/jetty.properties instead of the default
framework/base/config/ofbiz.properties)

-Al